Wednesday, March 16, 2005

And now for something completely the same

I used to date a girl named Sue May, ok we didn't really date, we were in 8th grade, and we just sort of hung out together at lunch and after school and stuff. Why I remember this is yesterday I was out in the garage looking for something and ran across the Monopoly game I got for Xmas in 1963, and saw that I had scrawled her name all over the box in red ink.
Sue May.
Susie May.
Susan May.
I mean just how 13 year old is that?

Did they have friendship rings when you were growing up?
Friendship rings were sterling silver rings you could buy from the drugstore for a dollar, a dollar four plus tax, and if you were going steady with a girl you were expected to buy her a friendship ring.
Considering that the average length of a going steady was about a week and a half, that could run into some serious cash, if you were some kind of juvenile Don Juan, which I wasn't, but still, it could run into some serious coin.
Anyway, I never bought Sue May a friendship ring, I don't know why, we must have went together a good month at least. What we did do was sit all moony eyed at lunch and draw friendship rings on each others friendship ring finger in blue ink.
Damn she was cute.
Sue May.
Susie May.
Susan May.

It's a pity kids aren't allowed to be thirteen years old anymore.

No comments: