Sunday, August 27, 2006

Where were you when you found out that Marilyn Monroe was a dead parrot?

Let me see, it was sometime in August of 1962 ...



And I think it was a Saturday night, and I was twelve years old, and my parents and I had just gotten back from the Gratiot Drive-in, but I don't remember what we saw, it might have been Dr. Strangelove, because I remember that we saw that at the drive-in, and it came out about that time, I guess, and god knows why my parents would go see a movie like that, I mean that wasn't their KIND of movie, but hey, maybe they just wanted to see a movie, and since I got in for free even though I was twelve and the cut off age for free kids was under twelve, and maybe that was their way of sticking it to the man, so maybe that's it, maybe they just wanted to see a movie, and stick it to the man.
Anyway, my parents and I had just gotten back from the drive-in where we may, or may not have, seen Dr Strangelove, and my sister told us that they had on the news that Marilyn Monroe had just died, and my sister said that she was 36 years old, and I thought to myself that man that was old and then I went to bed and fell right to sleep because it was after one in the morning, and who knows, if maybe I had been a more sensitive kid I might have stayed up and written Candle in the Wind, and then fallen right to sleep, but these are things one never knows.

3 comments:

hijacked frequencies said...

i was 7 years away from being born.

Boz said...

Then you couldn't have been that Hip Girl in the next car at the drive-in.

hijacked frequencies said...

no, i was in the third car over.

the one with 'DOWN WITH THE MAN' painted on the side.