Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Selling my soul for a year

I got a letter from my cable company as I was walking out the door today.
Right now I am getting channels 2-78 and 3 meg internet access.
The letter offered me a one year deal where I could go up to digital cable featuring all the premium movie channel tiers for eight dollars more a month if I called their 800 number.
Sounded like a deal to me ... all the premium movie channel tiers.

All the HBOs ... yep.
All the Cinemaxes ... yep.
All the Starz ... yep.
All the Starz Encores ... yep.
All the Showtimes ... yep.
And
All the TMCs ... yep.

Yeah, sounded like a real good deal to me.

I decided to call the 800 number when I got home and set up an appointment, but while I was out it came to me that I would be driving right by the cable tv office, and I could just stop in and see if they could give me the same deal as the 800 number, because sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left handed is doing in the cable industry, if you know what I mean.

I stopped at the cable office and showed them the letter and asked if they could do the deal for me, and she got on her computer and did a lot of typing, and said yeah, she could do it.
So, she brought out the digital cable box and the remote control, and I thought to myself cool I don't have to set up an appointment for a service guy to come out I can do this myself.
She then went into a long blahhhhhhhhh about how to hook everything up, and from experience I know not to pay any attention to the long blahhhhhhhh, because the long blahhhhhhhhhhh is usually all wrong (and it WAS all wrong), and besides I was too busy trying to look down her blouse, and how can I be expected to do two things at once anyway, and then as she was getting the computer print out for me to sign agreeing to all of this she told me that she got me an even better deal than the eight dollars more a month ...
SHE GOT ME A DEAL (AND YOU KNOW I DON'T USE CAPITAL LETTERS UNLESS THEY ARE REALLY CALLED FOR), SHE GOT ME A DEAL FOR SEVEN DOLLARS LESS THAN I AM ALREADY PAYING!!!

Huh???
Yeah, I didn't understand it either. I'll be getting digital cable and all the premium movie tiers, plus everything I am already getting and ...
I'LL BE PAYING (AGAIN WITH THE CAPITALS) SEVEN DOLLARS A MONTH LESS THAN I AM ALREADY PAYING, AND THE RATE IS LOCKED IN FOR A YEAR!!!

So, don't be bothering me tonight at 9:00 PM eastern because I'll be watching the first episode of the rebroadcast of season six of the Sopranos.

Oh, yeah, I get all those crappy music channels too.

No comments: