Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Another day and another day I didn't die

I guess that about says it all.



Another time I was almost killed.


Not to long after I was discharged from the air force I was sitting on my parents front porch, because I was still living with them, and it was summer time, and from out of the blue Wesley from across the street walks up, it was out of the blue because the last I had heard Wesley from across the street was serving a six year hitch in the navy where he was supposed to be doing something with submarines and nuclear shit, and if you knew Wesley from across the street nuclear is something you wouldn't want him to be involved with, anyway, it turns out that Wesley from across the street just couldn't cut it in the navy and they gave him a genereal discharge after about 14 months and 75 acid trips, but hey, I'm not here to judge Wesley from across the street, I mean, I had known Wesley from across the street practically all my life and we had been off and on best friends since we were about ten years old.
So, Wesley from across the street comes over, and after we finished with the ...
Whoa dudes
and
Other pleasantries
We decided that we should go fishing in the morning.

Sorry, I lost my train of thought for a minute. Lou Reed is singing Take a Walk on the Wild Side, and the colored girls are just starting to ...
Do do do do do do do do

So yeah, we went fishing the next day, we took Wesley from across the streets little red convertible Triumph sports car that was missing the hood, and the missing hood was a real pain in the ass because whenever we went to the local topless bar someone would always fuck with the alternator or the distributor and Wesley from across the street would have to get a screwdriver and a pair of pliers out of the glove box and piddle away till he fixed whatever it was that needed fixing.

Yeah, we drove out to one of the not so local inland lakes and rented a row boat and fished, and drank beer, and fished, and drank beer, and we probably lit one or two up, and it was really sunny, and the fish were biting, and we took off our shirts and got sunburned, and there were lots of girls in bikinis, and bikinis were different back then, you saw a lot more hip bone than you do now ...
But that's a story for another time.

So we fished until we ran out of bait and beer and decided to come home.
So we hopped on I-75 with the top down and headed home.
And the beer, and the sun, and getting up way too early in the morning was starting to take effect on me.

Yeah, so, I'm starting to doze, then jerking awake, starting to doze, then jerking awake, starting to doze, then jerking awake ...

Then in a flash of sudden lucidity I realized that we were heading straight for one of those concrete underpasses, overpasses, whateverpasses abutments, then I looked over at Wesley from across the street and he was sound asleep, so I reached over grabbed the wheel and Wesley from across the street let out a
WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK
And slammed on the brakes
And we shimmied
And we shook
And we went up over the shoulder
And we kicked up a lot of gravel
And we stopped
We stopped
We stopped
And we were alive
We were still alive
And we sat there for awhile
Just to make sure we were still alive
Then Wesley from across the street started the car up and we sort of crawled to the next exit, and then took the secondary roads home without further incident.
Amen

No comments: