Monday, September 17, 2007

Dark Chocolate meet the Stones, and be polite.

Bear with me a minute as I finish off this 8 ounce dark chocolate Russell Stover easter bunny.

I mean, sometimes you just have to tell your diet to go fuck itself, and tonight is one of those nights.

I think I just ate a piece of tin foil. It wasn't bad, just slightly metallic.

Seriously, I am devouring the bunny.

So, what was I going to write about tonight?

Besides dark chocolate.

And Russell, the brother that Bill Cosby slept with.

And Stover.

And tin foil.

And the Rolling Stones.

Yes, that's it, the Rolling Stones ... and how I had a chance to see them in concert in Detroit in 1964 at the Olympia Stadium, yeah, that Olympia Stadium, the place where the Red Wings and the Pistons played, and where Dick the Bruiser used to beat the shit out of Bobo Brazil, and where Joe Louis fought Two Ton Tony Galento or maybe it was one of the other bums from the Bum of the Month Club.

Ok, I didn't actually have a chance to see the Stones in 64, but then again I did have a chance to see them, but I was only 13, or maybe 14, and I had no way of getting there, and even if I did have a way of getting there, I didn't have the three or four dollars for a ticket, but really, if I did have a way to get there, and if I had the three or four dollars I could have totally seen them, and I probably could have seen them from the front row, or at least the second row, because they only sold about 250 tickets, which left about 14,750 empty seats, and about now, you're saying ...

What the Fuck!!!

And I'm replying, well yeah, it was 1964, and the Stones were just another band riding in on the coat tails of the Beatles and the British Invasion, playing recycled r&b hits from the 50's, and not really doing that very good, and I bet Freddie and the Dreamers, or the Dave Clark Five, or Herman's Hermits would have sold at least 10,000 tickets each at the Olympia, and the Stones, well, the Stones and their shitty r&b cover songs, well, it just wasn't their time, because their time was the summer of 1965 after Satisfaction, after Get Off of My Cloud, and after some other top five hit that I can't remember the name of, well, that was their time, the summer of 65 was their time, when they came back to Detroit, and sold out Cobo Hall for a bazillion consecutive nights, or maybe it was Tiger Stadium for a month of Sundays, or quite possibly it could have been Hell for Eternity, but you see, it was 1965, and that was their time.

No comments: