Thursday, March 02, 2006

The guy who walked into the sea and ended up in Greece

After I had been stationed on Crete for a couple of months I got a new roommate. He was a three striper that had transferred in from Clark AFB in the Philippines.
I really didn't know much about his Philippines past, but I did know that he was a born again Christian who found religion on the roof of a whore house in Manila.
Yeah, he was a born again Christian and I ... wasn't, and we didn't get along so well, or so good, depending on your grammatical preference.
There was no out and out aggression on either of our parts, everything was more on the passive -aggressive side. He'd leave his Bible opened and bookmarked to certain passages, and I'd leave my Playboys out opened to the center fold.
So yeah, we didn't get along so well and after about a month he moved into another room in another dormitory
However, we did work in the same building and our paths did cross on a daily basis, and I guess the part about not having to live in the same room together sort of mellowed both of us out a little, and no we didn't become friends, but we did become friendlier.
Anyway, he started hanging around at the USO Club and he became friends with another three striper and his wife, who were also born again Christians. So it looked like a good deal for the three of them.
A couple of months later my ex roommate transferred to another building and we rarely saw each other anymore.
Then I started hearing rumors about him and the other guys wife, but you were always hearing rumors like that, and so I didn't pay much attention to it. I mean yeah, I knew there was an attraction there, but I didn't think my ex-roomie would ever act on it.
Well, he didn't, but the attraction and the feelings he felt for the other guys wife were real, so he did what he thought was the right thing to do. He downed a bottle of Excedrin and tried to drown himself by walking out into the Mediterranean Sea.
I'm not sure if he was found, or if he had second thoughts, or whatever, but his attempt was unsuccessful and he wound up in the psych ward at some military hospital in Germany.
After his stint in the psych ward they transferred him to Athens which the powers that be figured would be best for all parties concerned, and maybe it was because that was the last I ever heard about him.
But yeah, that still shows you how powerful the act of suicide really is. Even though he was unsuccessful, and even though we were never really friends, and even though we were just barely acquaintances, here it is 35 years later and I still remember it like it was last month.

No comments: