Monday, August 01, 2005

Like father like son, I guess

I remember a Friday night back in the summer of 1961.
My dad worked the afternoon shift and wasn't do home till late. Late meaning overtime and a few beers and some pool at the Club 7-11, and I shit you not, it was called the Club 7-11.
My mother made lemonade from frozen concentrate and she sat on the couch and I laid on a blanket on the floor and we watched Shock Theater on Channel 7.
It was The Mummy, and it wasn't scary, but it was kind of creepy, and I drank three glasses of lemonade, which was one glass too many, but damn the lemonade was cold and good, and it hit the spot, but yeah, I got a belly ache, but still, it was nice watching the late late show with my mom, and the windows were open, and there was a nice breeze, and we heard my dad come in, and yeah, he had a few beers too many, but he was home safe, and maybe he won a few bucks shooting pool, and he went straight to bed, and I hoped he wouldn't get a hangover because maybe we could do something on Saturday, and the movie ended, and another movie came on, but it wasn't a horror movie, it was some kind of romance movie, so I staggered off to bed, dragging my blanket behind me, and hoping that my belly ache would go away.

No comments: