Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Yeah, I can understand your nightmares, no joke.

I remember the total eclipse in the summer of 1963.
I was thirteen, and it was the weekend, and it was hot, and no one was around, and it was still, and hazy, and I was riding my bike around in circles in front of our house, bored, waiting for the eclipse, and trying to decide which side of the Four Seasons newest single I liked best, Candy Girl or Marlena, shit, I liked them both, and yeah, the summer of 1963, I was a teenager on a bike, with bad skin, wearing calypso pants, and a t-shirt, and tennis shoes, and a crew cut, and tall, and skinny, and riding around in circles in front of my house, waiting for a fucking eclipse, and two weeks before I hadn't even known what a fucking eclipse was, and yeah, I'm riding my bike in circles, singing Candy Girl and Marlena to myself, and I was bored, and waiting for the boring fucking eclipse, that would probably only happen once in my fucking life time, so I'd better fucking make sure that I took full fucking advantage of this once in a fucking lifetime opportunity, and experience the fucking once in a fucking lifetime fucking eclipse.
But anyway, it turned out to be no big thing, seriously.
So it looks like I wasted a whole afternoon.
I guess.
I think I'll try to get my dad to drive me to EJ Korvettes so I can get that new single by the Four Seasons, yeah, that would be cool.
Yeah, fat chance of that.
It sucks being thirteen.
But man, I still love those songs, even after forty years, even at four in the morning.
Marlena
Candy Girl

No comments: