Friday, May 25, 2007

The start of another short story I will never complete. Assuaging Fears

Mildred, is that you?

Yes, it's me.

But your name isn't Mildred, it's Merle.

Yes, I know.

Then why did you answer when I called your Mildred?

Because the 911 manual says we should try to assuage any fears that a caller might have.

But I'm not afraid.

Then why did you call 911?


Good question.

Thank you, I scored a 90% on the question asking part of the 911 Operators Exam.


Is that a good score?

Yes, it was the second highest score in my class.

Who scored the highest?

Some woman named Mildred.


Maybe that's why you answered when I called you Mildred. Maybe it was some kind of Freudian response.

Or it could have been Jungian.

Yes, I meant to say Jungian.

I wonder what Freud would say about that?

I'm more concerned about what Jung would say about it.
What did the manual say?

I don't know, I was on break, I haven't had a chance to look at the manual.

You took a break in the middle of a 911 call?

Yes, I had no choice it's a union regulation.

I wish I belonged to a union like that.

So do I.

You aren't a member of the union?

No, I haven't been a 911 operator long enough to join the union.


How long have you been a 911 operator.

Counting today?


Yes, counting today.

One day.

One day?

Yes, one day. As a matter of fact, you are my first call.

That might explain why you have to check the manual so often.

Yes, that might explain it.

What else could possibly explain it?

I don't know. I'm new here. Let me check the manual. Please hold.

No comments: