Saturday, April 29, 2006

Nothing's illegal if you got the blues

So I was surfing around this morning. Checking out some of those orphan blogs and message boards, you know the ones I mean, the blogs and boards that are there one day and gone the next. The kind of blogs and boards that offer sort of ehhhhh illegal music downloads, and I found a board this morning that had a Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young bootleg concert performance, now I'm not a big CSNY fan, but hey, Neil Young is god, and further hey, did I ever tell you that I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young in concert back when I was home on leave from the Air Force in November and December of 1969?
So anyway, I see the link for the CSNY concert bootleg, and I click on it.
So, it's Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young in concert,
December 14, 1969, the Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, Michigan ...
December 14, 1969, the Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, Michigan ...
December 14, 1969, the Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, Michigan ...
December 14, 1969, the Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, Michigan ...
Hmmmmmmmmm, huhhhhhhhhhhh, what????
That's me, that's my concert, yeah, the one I saw, Air Force, leave, home, December, 1969, yep, I was freakin' there!!!
Oh man, could I tell you stories about that concert, and some of them would even be true!!!
So, yeah, I downloaded it, because you know, I've had the blues lately, and ...
Well anyway, it took a few minutes for the file to download, and yeah, I'm getting excited, because, well you know, the memories, and the stories, and ahhhhh, I started getting goosebumps in anticipation.
Soooo, the file downloads, and I open it, and blah blah blah, a couple of songs, a lot of random guitar tuning, a lot of lame and inane I'm cooler than you banter between Crosby, and Stills, and Nash, and I'm about to write this off to experience, when all of a sudden ...
Neil Young cuts through all the bullshit and starts singing
On The Way Home
And there I am.
Nineteen years old, in a concert hall in Detroit, home on leave, just a week before I was heading overseas, not knowing what was in store ...
And Neil Young just sums it all up in a three minute and fifteen second song, and I guess that's why Neil Young is God.
I'm sort of gashlumpting all up right now, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

1 comment:

hijacked frequencies said...

yes, he is a god. i liked that story.