Saturday, April 15, 2006

Frank and Mike pretending they are Mike and Frank, respectively



I was actually channel surfing one evening back in, oh, I don't know, late 1967, or early 1968, when I stumbled across this little add on at the end of the Monkee's television show, and channel surfing was a lot easier back then because there were only four VHF channels and two UHF channels, and one of the UHF channels was Educational TV which is what they called PBS before it was called PBS, and I was going to say I never watched it, but I did, I did really watch it, because they had all sorts of good shows like Pete Seeger singing folksongs with Cisco Houston, and Joan Baez, and Dave Von Ronk, and a bunch of other folk singing type guys and gals.
But back to the Monkees ...
I think this was either at the peak of their popularity or just after and all the guys forced NBC to let them do little end of show vignettes to show how creative they were.
Ummm, and Mickey had Tim Buckley on the show to show just how relevant and folky he was, and Davy had some guy who wrote show tunes on to show just how Broadway he was, and Mike had Frank on because he wanted to show everybody he was more than just a stupid hat and sideburns, Mike, not Frank.
So, yeah.

No comments: