Monday, September 19, 2005

When 40 turns to 60

I've been sleeping way too long and way too late lately.
So, I had a plan today.
I was going to get up fairly early, and I am too embarrassed to tell you what fairly early is for me so let's just leave it at fairly early.
Anyway, I got up fairly early with plans to drive down state, you know, a road trip, no plans really, enjoy the drive, hit a few stores, grab a bite to eat, but when I caught the weather report it said a sixty per cent chance of afternoon thunder storms, the further (farther) south you go the greater the chance.
So, I cancelled my plan and thought I'd just lay down for a few minutes and then run to the post office and the drug store when I got up.
An hour and a half later I woke up deeply ashamed and spiraling towards depression because of my lack of willpower.
But ... a voice inside me said
Boz, you can do it, get up, get ready, get out, and do things!
And I listened to that voice.
And I got up, and ready, and out, and I did things!
I went to the post office and mailed a package.
I went to Rite Aid and took advantage of their Anniversay Sale.
I bought 4 bottles of 2 liter pepsi for less than three bucks w/coupon.
I bought two tubes of Colgate 6.4 ounce Minty Cool, Minty Fresh, Minty Whitening w/Baking Soda and .... AND Peroxide for $2.99.
I bought a 128 bottle of, I dunno, some brand of laundry detergent for $1.88.
And ...
I bought two Hershey King Size candy bars for a dollar.
And then I came home.
My needs sated.
My urges quelled.
My ass sore.
So here I am, a half eaten Hershey bar on my desk and a sense of accomplishment welling up from deep inside me.

As always the voice from inside me was played by Frank Sinatra.

No comments: