Friday, January 06, 2006

I must have missed that day

Ok, in ninth grade Civics class there was this girl named Carol who sat in front of me. She was a nice girl, a sweet girl, even a pretty girl, and she was always trying to strike up a conversation with me, and I must admit that in the suburban sprawl of Detroit her relocated lilting southern drawl had a slightly hypnotic effect on me.

Here's the problem. I was the shyest boy in this and seventeen parallel universes and getting me to utter more than three words in succession was a task most people weren't up to.

Anyway, one day in Civics class Mr. Sykes, who was also my guidance counselor, asked very sarcastically if I planned on going to high school the next year because I hadn't as of yet filled out my schedule.

I just sort of looked down at my feet and said:
I dunno, I guess.

Out of nowhere Carol jumped up all full of the righteous indignation only a girl on the verge of becoming a woman could have, and informed Mr. Sykes that:
Ken couldn't have possibly known about the schedules because he had been absent that day.
She then sat down in a huff, looked at me and said:
Isn't that right Ken?
I sort of looked at her all bug eyed and slack jawed and after what seemed like hours I managed to half way stutter out:
I dunno, I g-g-guess.

The question that begs answering is, did I miss out on a good thing here?
Did Carol in all her smoldering femininity and repressed mid-sixties sexuality have a crush on me, and did I in all my gangly, awkward, not knowing my ass from a whole in the groundess ...
Well, was I just oblivious to it?

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Yes, yes and hell yeah.

Kat said...

Either she had a crush on you or she thought you were gay. One of those.

hijacked frequencies said...

she prolly burned her bra in frustration, too.

*Monica said...

Definitely a crush.

Grampa said...

Yeah, you fuck'n blew it.