Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Attempted short story, more or less, but probably less. Part 7

I guess we were about forty five minutes out of Rapid City on the way back to the farm when Uncle Ned pulled into a little grocery store right off the side of the road. Aunt Junie asked if this was the place, and Uncle Ned said that it was. Aunt Junie then asked Uncle Ned if it was her turn, and Uncle Ned said yes, and he told her not to forget her purse this time. Aunt Junie smiled a little and reached under the seat for her purse then looked at me and said that she had to pick up a few things for tonight's dinner and that she would only be a minute or two, and with that she got out of the truck and went into the grocery store. After a bit Uncle Ned, who had been silent for most of the drive, asked me if I liked baseball. I told him that I did, and that I was a Detroit Tigers fan. Uncle Ned started to say something else when I turned and saw Aunt Junie hurry out of the grocery store. When Uncle Ned saw this he started up the truck, and told me to ...
Scoot over boy, and give your Aunt Junie some room.
No sooner had I scooted over than Aunt Junie opened the door, jumped in, and stuffed her purse back under the front seat, and then Uncle Ned took off.
Uncle Ned asked Aunt Junie how everything went, and Aunt Junie said everything went off without a hitch.
Uncle Ned let out a low whistle and drove on.

No comments: