Monday, September 25, 2006

Get on with it already

I'm going to make spaghetti today.
I've never made spaghetti before.
I'm not even sure how to spell spaghetti, but I guess that's what spellcheck is for.
The reason I am going to make spaghetti is because last night at a little after two am I channel surfed onto a movie on Turner Classic titled A Woman Under the Influence starring Peter Falk and Gena Rowlands, and I'm thinking that the movie must have been directed by John Cassavetes because Peter Falk was his best friend, and Gena Rowlands was his wife, and at that time of night, or morning, TCM usually shows some kind of indie off the wall cult classic, which is the kind of movie that Cassavetes was known for, if he was known for anything, anyway, the scene I surfed in on was when Falk brings a bunch of his working class buddies home and Rowlands, who plays Falk's wife, happily whips up a bunch of spaghetti to feed the starving masses, and watching the starving masses eat spaghetti made me think to myself that ...
Hey, I haven't had spaghetti for a long time, and it sure looks/sounds good
And since I don't feel like going out for a spaghetti dinner,
And because it would be a hell of alot easier for me to make it than for MB to make,
not that she couldn't make it, it would just be a hell of alot easier for me to make.
So, I decided to make it my ownself.

This morning I got up and checked to see if we had any spaghetti making materials skulking around the house, but there wasn't.
There wasn't, except for a jar of Ragu that I found way in the back of the fridge, that hadn't been opened, but I'm sure had been in the back of the fridge since before Clinton hadn't had sex with that woman ...
So, I just decided to go to the supermarket and start from scratch.

The list I wrote in my head included french bread, ground round, spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, and maybe a bottle of daygo red wine.

Ok, I got to the store and the first item I found in the bakery was french bread with crusty crust for a $1.79, which I thought was a little expensive, but it did have crusty crust so I guess you have to pay for the extras.
Then I hit the butcher counter and got a half pound of ground round which also came to a $1.79, and maybe I should play that number in the three digit daily game, but probably I won't, and yeah, I thought I'd get ground round because since I already paid $1.79 for the bread, the french bread with crusty crust, I figured I'd go all out.
My next stop was the spaghetti sauce/pasta aisle where I totally intended to get the most expensive sauce they had, which I think was the Paul Newman for like three bucks a jar, and yeah, I could have made the sauce from scratch, but why bother, I mean it's not like a have an educated palate, and if it's good enough for Joanne Woodward then it's good enough for me, but wait ... Hunt's spaghetti sauce is on sale for a buck a can, a buck a can, a buck a can, and this is where my mind kicks into Boz Loves a Bargain mode, and hey, I can't fight it, a buck a can people, a buck a can, it was a fait accompli, and yeah, I even bought two cans in case I ever want to make spaghetti again.
The pasta was right next to the sauce, and ... and ... and ... Muellers thin spaghetti in the two pound box was also on sale for a buck, it seems it was bargains for a buck week, so Muellers it was.

Now, I'm not a drinker, but you know every once in a while ... and daygo red does go good with spaghetti, so I thought I'd check out the wine section, but damn, wine, even the wine without a cork, is so freakin' expensive I decided to get a bottle of Diet Cherry 7-up instead, which looks a lot like daygo red when you drink it from a glass, or a paper bag ...

I guess that's it.
I guess I'm going to start preparing it.
I wish I had a chef's hat, and about six helpers to do all the work while I supervised like on all the cooking shows, but I don't, so ...
Here goes nothing.

No comments: