Thursday, September 07, 2006

A book is just a book, but a good cigar is a smoke

So, I'm trying to put together a list of my ten favorite books of all time, yeah, I know, but I want to do it, because I like lists, but you know it's hard, and I haven't come up with a list yet, but without a doubt Catch-22 by Joesph Heller is my favorite book, wait, maybe it should be favorite novels of all time, yeah, I like that better, and Catch-22 would then be my favorite novel of all time, and for sure we have to have something by Vonnegut, and the obvious choice would be Slaughterhouse-Five, and yeah, I really liked it, but I'm leaning more to picking Cat's Cradle or The Sirens of Titan, and then there is Stephen King and The Stand would be a good choice, but I'll tell you, the last novel I read by King has really stuck with me, and because of that I think I'll go with Hearts In Atlantis, because that is one book that when I was finished reading it I wished that it could have gone on and on and on.
Ok, that's what, three, good.
Let's see, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, yeah, that's way up there, and oh man, how could I forget Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe, that was the first big person book I ever read when I was like seven years old and the librarian wasn't going to let me take it out until she had me read a passage to her out loud, and then she clucked her tongue a couple of times and said ...
Well, I guess I made a mistake
And she let me check it out.
What else???
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck has a good chance of making it.
Decline and Fall and A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh were both really good.
Hmmmm, Huckleberry Finn by Twain???
How about Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me by Richard Farina, it's one of the few books that I've read more than twice.
Oh, The Natural by Malamud, I really liked that, and Rabbit Run by Updike, yeah, both of them, and did I spell Malamud's and Updike's names correctly, yeah, I guess I did.
On the Road by Kerouac, ahhhhh, I don't know, maybe.
How many is that, I've lost track.
FINE!!!
My mind has just gone blank.
I'll get back to this some day.

No comments: