Monday, November 14, 2005

Reading is fun and mental

A year ago at this time I had no books in my library, actually I didn't even have a library, mostly because I had quit reading about 15 years ago.
I just counted and now I have twenty five books in my library, that's if you can call the top of two dressers between the speakers of my CD player a library.
Yeah, twenty five books. I haven't read all of them, but I will, well, except for that Judy Blume book which I'll probably give to my niece if she comes up for Thanksgiving like she said she would.
There's quite a few Stephen King novels. He's pretty easy to pick up and kind of hard to put down.
Then I've got a couple by Joseph Heller, both Catch-22 and it's sequel that I can't remember the title of of, that Belle sent to me, and yeah, Catch-22 is probably my favorite read of all time.
Then there is a poetry anthology that Melissa sent to me that just screams BEAT GENERATION with William Carlos Williams, and Ferlinghetti, and Ginsberg, and the rest of the best minds of their generation ...
Then there are the Salinger's and the Lynda Barry's, that really started me reading again, that Amy sent to me, and I don't know who had a more profound effect on me Seymour or Marlys.
I can't forget all the bargains I've gotten for myself at the library book sale rack. There's The Godfather by Puzo, The Boys of Summer by Kahn, and I, Robot by Asimov, and Alice in Wonderland by Carroll, and some novel by Kafka that isn't Metamorphosis.
Of course there's the crappy crime novels that I love to read. There's one about the murder of Bob Crane, you know Colonel Hogan from Hogan's Heroes, and then there's the one about death of George Superman Reeves which could have been suicide or could have been murder and could have been a lot better written ...
Ok, yeah, I still haven't read the Henry Millers. I'm such a poseur, but seriously, I'll get to him eventually.
So yeah, reading is a good thing and I wonder why I ever stopped in the first place.

No comments: