Thursday, July 27, 2006

Soupy Sales

Soupy Sales got his start in Detroit.
He was a local television icon from about 1950 through 1960.
His first show was a half hour lunch time show called Lunch With Soupy.
In the late 50's he changed to an hour morning show called, I dunno, Breakfast With Soupy, or maybe it was just the Soupy Sales Show.
The main characters were:
White Fang, The meanest dog in all of Deeee-troit.
Black Tooth, The sweetest dog in all of Deeee-troit, looking back he was probably gay.
Willie the Worm, who lived in an apple, and was the sickest worm in all of Deeee-troit.
Pookie, the smart ass lion who gave Soupy all sorts of grief.
Hippie, a hippo who was Pookie's stooge.
And
The guy who knocked at the door, the one who hit Soupy with most of the shaving cream pies.

Oh, man I loved me some Soupy Sales.
The shaving cream pies, the buzzer that said Do Not Touch that when you touched you got squirted with seltzer, and the Words of Wisdom. (Be true to your teeth and they will never be false to you.)

He also had a late night show sort of like the Tonight Show and all the hot jazz acts like Dave Brubeck would stop by whenever they were playing in Detroit.

His last show in Detroit was Thanksgiving Day 1960, and I was ten years old, and I was getting ready to go see the Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I was crying ...

Ok, I've got other stuff to do now, and really, Soupy wasn't all that anyway.

GOD, I MISS HIM, AND MY LOST YOUTH THAT HE REPRESENTS!!!

Yeah, I know this post is disjointed, and it sucks, and it isn't up to my high standards, and it sucks, and who the fuck cares about Soupy Sales anyway, and did you know that Soupy Sales two sons were musicians, and they were part of both Todd Rundgren's and David Bowie's back-up bands, no, not at the same time, that would have been bigamy, or incest, or somewhere between bigamy and incest, and one of Soupy's sons was named Hunt and the other was named Wesson Oil, haaa, I made that up, I mean Soupy isn't Frank Zappa, but yeah, one of his son's is named Hunt, ohhh, I just looked it up, his other son's name is Tony, and just how boring is that, I mean there was such potential, he could have named them Hunt and Peck, or Mike and Hunt, or something ...

Seriously,I got distracted by a girl without a spleen while I was writing this post, and how can you ignore a spleenless girl in her hour of need?

2 comments:

hijacked frequencies said...

Soupy would be proud that you know so much about him. Or he'd get a restraining order. :)

Unknown said...

Soupy could have named his kids Campbell and Chunky...