Tuesday, April 17, 2007

While out sailing on the ocean, while out sailing on the sea, I bumped into the saviour, and he said pardon me ... thank you John Prine

In my quest for Vonnegut I went to the St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store.
They had tons of books.
They didn't have any Vonnegut.
So I got some other books at ten cents a pop.
I got a John Irving.
I got a couple of Joesph Heller's.
I got an F. Scott Fitzgerald.
I got something else that I don't remember.
I got Lord Jim by Joesph Conrad.
I'm reading Lord Jim now.
I'm just starting to get into it.
Someone told me that I reminded them of Lord Jim.
Or maybe it was Billy Budd.
Or it could have been Popeye.
Let's start over, and leave out the part about Popeye.
And yeah, maybe it was Lord Jim, because I see myself sharing some of the same demons that Lord Jim shared.
Or maybe I just have a messiah complex.

No comments: