Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ten fairly common things that I have never done.

1. Eaten a pop tart.
2. Ridden a horse.
3. Stared Charlie down from the wrong end of a bayonet ... no, I've done that, well, not really, but it's an urban legend that I started about myself when it became chic in the early 80's to sort of hint that you might have served in Vietnam even if you actually hadn't, and I actually worked with a guy that actually hinted, actually, he more than hinted, and you know I actually believed him until I realized that he didn't graduate from high school until June of 1973, which was I think a couple of months after the war ended, and when I asked him when he served in the army he said 1975 through 1977, and I said it must have been hard serving in Vietnam after everybody else had left, and then he admitted that he hadn't actually served in Vietnam, but that he had actually (and how many times have I typed actually?) served in Germany, and then I said sarcastically, that yeah, Germany was real tough duty in the 70's, and then he got all indignant and said he had served in the coldest part of Germany, and even though it wasn't Vietnam, it was almost as bad as Vietnam, well, except for the cats in black pjs and BF Goodrich sandals trying to kill you, and that's the reason I started the "Staring down Charlie from the wrong end of a bayonet" urban legend about myself as a way of poking fun at the guys that really, really, really wanted you to believe that uh, well, you know, the whole Vietnam chic thing that I mentioned a few lines back, but you know, I did spend a month in Turkey when I was in the air force, and the hash wasn't all that good, and neither were the three dollar prostitutes.



4. Did it.
5. Did it.
6. Did it.
7. Did it.
8. Did it.
9. Did it.
10. Ahhhhh, yeah, I did that too.

No comments: